Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) 

LEAP is a federally funded program administered by the Colorado Department of Human Services and is designed to assist with winter heating costs.

LEAP is not intended to pay the entire cost of home heating.  Even if you are applying for LEAP assistance you should continue to pay your home heating bill.

LEAP eligibility period runs from November 1st through April 30th.

More information can be obtained by calling 383-3168 or by visiting http://www.colorado.gov/cdhs/leap.

LEAP applications, in both English and Spanish, are available in Room 102 of the Otero County court house or at the state web site.

Please note that applications from the state web site are not available until November 1 of each program year.


For year-round assistance with your utility bills please contact HEAT HELP toll-free at 1-866-432-8435.


Applications can be submitted in person, by mail, email or fax: 
  • In person - Room 102 at the Otero County courthouse

  • Mail - Otero County Department of Human Services, PO Box 494, La Junta, CO 81050

  • Email - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • FAX - 719-383-3150

Crisis Intervention Program:  If you are eligible for LEAP, you may qualify for emergency help such as repair or replacement of your primary heating system.  If you have this type of emergency you must contact 1-855-HEATHELP (1-855-462-8435). 
To qualify for LEAP you must:
  • Pay heating costs to an energy provider, fuel dealer, or as part of your rent.
  • Be a permanent legal resident of the United States and Colorado or have household members that are U.S. citizens.
  • Provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S. **
  • Have income that falls within the guidelines given below.  "Household" means people who live with you and for whom you are financially responsible.
Guidelines for 2013-2014 Program Year





















 ** Verification of Lawful Presence
LEAP applicants must provide a readable copy of one of the following valid identifications:
  1. A Colorado driver's license or a Colorado identification card
  2. A United States military ID or military dependant's card
  3. A United States Merchant Mariner card
  4. A Native American Tribal document
  5. Any other document authorized by rules adopted by the Department of Revenue

Additional information