- The county sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer of the county, responsible for maintaining the peace and enforcing state criminal laws.
- The sheriff must provide court security and is required to serve and execute processes, subpoenas, writs and orders as directed by the County and District courts.
- The sheriff operates the county jail, and must maintain and feed prisoners.
- The sheriff is also fire warden for prairie or forest fires in the county, and is also responsible for Search and Rescue.
- Issuance and approval of concealed handgun permits.
- Finally, the sheriff performs certain functions in connection civil process, including sales of real and personal property to satisfy debt or tax liens.
First Elected: November, 2014
Current Term Expires: January, 2019
Otero County Sheriff Shawn Mobley
222 East 2nd
La Junta CO 81050
Phone: Emergency - 911
Non-Emergency - (719) 384-5941
Fax: (710) 384-2272
Undersheriff: David Gaskill